I hope you are all having a wonderful January. As much as I don’t like the cold this time of the year, I really see this is as the perfect time to create effortless habits to fall in love with. It is a time to hibernate and learn more about yourself and put into action the habits you want to add into your life. Change is hard, but space helps make the transition easier as you move over the hump of showing up daily.
*The beginning is always the hardest*.
Today I thought I would share an update on my holistic glowing skin journey. As you might know, healing my cystic acne naturally was the reason I got into living a holistic life. You can read more about how I healed my skin here, here, and here in my 3 part series about nutrition, lifestyle, and mindset.
These strategies helped my skin to naturally glow and reduced my dependence on spirolactone. ( A hormone that dries up the skin to produce less oil) But back in 2015, I wanted to take it to the next level and get off the pill. You can read more about all the reasons why HERE. (there are a lot)
One of the many reasons was because I wanted to prove to myself that my skin could be healed without any medications. I wanted to be 100% healed inside and outside of my body. No more band-aids!
Since my last posts, I have learned more on my journey I would share some of strategies and tools with you and ultimately how you can fall in love with your skin too!
How to Fall in Love with Your Skin:
- Chia seeds are magic seeds. – I love chia seeds because they are packed full of omega 3’s which reduce inflammation. I recently got back on the chia seed wagon and I am reminded why they are so great because my skin GLOWS when I eat them. Chia seed pudding is my favorite way to eat them. Lately, I have been whipping up a pumpkin chia seed pudding! I love it because I used canned pumpkin so its super EASY. Here is the recipe I use:
Glowing Pumpkin Chia Seed Pudding
¼ cup of chia seeds
1/3 cup of pumpkin
a dash of monk fruit sweetener (if desired)
Top with additional nuts, nut butters, coconut flakes, cacao nibs – the options are endless.
Stir up the ingredients and let sit for about 10 minutes. This helps the chia seeds to absorb and get all “gel-like”. You want the chia seeds to form this gel because that is what well help get your digestion moving right along.
- Figure out your unique blueprint on what to eat. After quitting the pill, I realized how much my body was out of whack. I had a lot of internal healing to do. Eventually, I decided to work with a holistic nutritionist and get to the root of the problems. I wanted to have real answers on my the state of my gut’s health. I am extremely grateful that these tools and resources exist, but I also don’t believe this is where you need to start. Depending on where you are at on your journey, I suggest that you work through this list below. Sometimes there are simple tweaks that you can do to your diet like adding more fat, eating enough food, or getting honest with how much sugar you are eating even if it’s natural sugar. Sometimes it the the littlest things that can make a big impact on your health. If you aren’t sure where to start – you can send me an email through my contact page. I would love to give you a bit of guidance as I know it can be overwhelming. The important part is to check in with your body and see how you are feeling. Journal and track how you feel and educate yourself on how the body works.
4 Steps to Figure out what Foods Work for your Body:
A. Remove gluten, dairy, and alcohol from the diet for 30 days.
B. Do a 30-day challenge either Strict Paleo or Whole30.
C. Try an elimination diet like Whole30 or AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) to see how you react to certain foods.
D. Look for MRT testing or work with an Naturopathic Dr. near you to do more testing to get specific answers on what is happening in your body.
- Commit to Choosing Safer Cleaning Products – I am a huge advocate for safer cleaning products. I have made a commitment to myself to stop purchasing toxic products. We are lucky enough to have numerous safer options out there so why bother with choosing the crap??
Essential oils have been a BIG impact in helping me create cost effective and safer cleaning products. Personally, I use Doterra essential oils and I LOVE them. I make my own counter top spray to use in kitchens and bathrooms. It is SO cost effective and way better for your body. Essential oils have so many healing properties in them. I highly suggest you look into them. I will do a post on them in the future. 🙂
Household Cleaner Spray Recipe:
¼ cup white vinegar
1 ¾ water
15 drops of grapefruit and 15 drops of lemon
And the fun part is that you can make SO many combinations!Doterra also has a line of already made cleaning products like their laundry detergent. These are nice to use if I don’t feel like making anything. Norwex is another GREAT company that sells quality cleaning products. I highly recommend both of these companies to clean up your home safely! 🙂
4. Upgrade your Skincare Routine to Safer Beauty. I love natural beauty products that actually work! And boy oh boy does the new Celavive line from USANA work its magic. Just in the first week of using it, my skin was glowing! It really hydrates the skin, but it doesn’t make it look greasy. This has always been a problem for me because I have such oily skin. Even when I used it in Florida, it worked great!! I can tell it really does repair my skin and heal the damage from daily life. I also feel like it is helping me clear up my skin and protect my skin from aging. My skin feels plump and hydrated and I am falling more in love with my skin!! <3 As of now this line is not out to the public, but is COMING SOON (February 2nd)! If you want to learn more, reach out to me! 🙂 I will definitely be sharing more about this amazing line with you all!
- Connect and Learn about your Body’s Cycles. In this post here, I share about connecting to your monthly cycle. This is something I believe is SO important because it helps you to understand what your body needs. It has also helped me to be more understanding of the phase my body is in. It can be easy to get down on yourself if you skin is breaking out or you feel bloated. But connecting it to a phase has been so re-assuring that it is JUST a phase. It can be easy to fall into a panic because it feels like nothing will change. But the reality is that our body can change quickly –one day my skin looks awful but the next it’s almost perfect! Using the FloLiving app is really what helped me to connect to these ideas. I found that my luteal phase and menstrual phase were the worst for bloating and acne. I saw how my energy increased when I was in my follicular and ovulatory phase. It was paying attention to these little details that made me love my body more and take care of it even better. I highly suggest you download the app if you want to do the same! And read Alisa’s book if you want to take it to the next level! Here is a sneak peak of the app!
These 5 things have really helped me to truly love my skin. I truly believe perfection is overrated and can never be truly achieved in ANY area of our life. I am at a place where I know that the quality of skin does not affect my worth. This is about showing up healthy and strong so I can life a life of freedom and have the energy to do my work in the world.
I hope my story helps you on your journey. If you want to learn more about glowing skin – sign up for my email list and you get a FREE 1 Day Body, Mind, Soul Detox to Glowing Skin by Tomorrow. 🙂 Can’t wait to see you inside!